Me!

Me!

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Changes

<><>
<> 
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
 -Howard Thurman

 All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another."
 -Anatole France

"Change brings opportunity.
   -Nido Qubein
"Change means that what was before wasn't perfect. People want things to be better."
-Esther Dyson 

Alright, alright... you are probably wondering why I am posting all these quotes about change.  Change is inevitable.  Nothing stays the same.  Don't you love it?  If you don't like the way something is, you can change it!  Hair color, eye color, jobs... location?  As everyone knows, I moved to Utah in August 2010.  I needed a change after a long year of getting back up on my feet when my mom passed away and change I got!  Lots of Mormons!  Snow!  Below 70 degree weather!  Dry heat!  One Starbucks within a ten mile radius! O.o  While this move was difficult, I appreciate all that I have learned about myself while living in Utah.  However, it's time for a change.  After thinking about this long and hard ( shut up *Elisa*), I have made the decision to say   
Goodbye Utah!





 HELLO MIAMI!!!!!!! 
 That's right!!  Yours truly is packing her bags and heading to the East coast! 

Now, I know some of you are probably wondering why I am making such a drastic move.  Let me break it down for ya... My dear friend, Andrea, and I had the opportunity to go to Miami in May of last year.  After five days of sun, humidity, gators, and rain showers, I fell in love.  I have honestly wanted to live there ever since, but I felt that I should follow through with my move to Utah since the plan was already underway.  However, after a loooonnnngggg year, I decided that Utah is a place for me to visit... not to live.  I questioned whether I should move back to California or not being that most of my life is there, but honestly, the idea of going back to California with no home to go to is too difficult for me right now.  Also, being that I am still in school and colleges in California are completely impacted, I decided it was not the place for me right now.  Living in New York was out of the questioned as I have vowed never to live in cold weather again, so when thinking of somewhere else to go Miami was at the top of my list.  I began researching schools and found that 
 Florida International University
Has an amazing Communications program.  I also discovered that if you graduate with an A.A. from
You get priority admission into Florida International University.  So, after much thought I decided this was the right move for me.  Out of state tuition at MDC is roughly the same amount of money as in state tuition at Utah Valley University, the school I have been attending for the past year.  Miami is the place I need to be career wise, as I am studying to be an Event/Wedding planner.
Many people I have talked to don't approve of my decision to move.  I have been accused of running of away from "something", moving for the large amount of male attention I get in Miami and/or moving for a guy, and making a foolish decision financially, among many other things. I have struggled with this as I rely heavily on other peoples approval (self-esteem issues... that's a whole nother' blog!).  I couldn't understand how every fiber of my being felt good about this decision, but many were telling me it was a bad choice.  I then thought of all the people in history who were told they would never make it or what they were doing would never work... 
  Thomas Edison 
 Albert Einstein
 Dr. Seuss 
was told he could not write or draw. 
George Foreman 
was told that he was too old and fat and was laughed out of the ring.  
Seven years later, he was name Heavyweight Champion of the world.

Salma Hayek
was told she would never make it because when she spoke she
reminded people of their maid. 

George Foreman and Salma Hayek have not necessarily changed the world, but they were successful, despite others telling them they would not be.  So... I'm in good company. 
Naysayers should be proud of me... despite their disapproval, I am still going!  That's a step in the right direction as far as my self esteem goes!!  
The plans are to leave Sunday, August 14th, around 11pm and arrive Thursday, August 18th, sometime in the evening.  
  
The route we are taking is eight hours longer, however, I need to see my little sister off to college!
 For those of you that don't know, Sage is going to school in Arizona!  She's a big girl now! 
There ya have it!  My new adventure!  I'm so excited for what my future holds I can wait to get started!!  You'll wanna stick around... things are gonna get interesting!

1 comment:

  1. Sara, we just found out we are moving to Utah! I wish we had crossed paths better, but I wish you all the luck in the world on this new adventure.

    ReplyDelete